Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Health Update and April/May Health Goals

So I remembered I never gave a March health update at the beginning of the month.  March was a so-so month for me health-wise.  I indulged in wheat and dairy far more than I should have and paid for it with tummy issues throughout the month.  My exercise was good the first part of the month, but then dropped off dramatically during the second half with all the traveling I did.  I still kept up with walking Koda on most nice days, but we did have several rainy days where we did not walk.  I also tried a new vegetable and went on a hike which were part of my goals. So not a total failure, but I hope to do better this month!

April has been much better.  Koda and I have walked at least 30 minutes every day, and we went on a challenging 4 mile hike on Saturday.  I have not been doing my weight circuit this month though. My diet is wheat and dairy free 90% of the time, although I still indulge in occasional pizza, brownies, and candy.  I take this digestion enzyme before I eat wheat or dairy and it really seems to help me not have horrible IBS symptoms afterwards. (I still have some, but not like it used to be.)  I have found I can have a small amount of dairy without having any symptoms afterwards.  This is nice because now I am able to eat mashed potatoes with butter and milk, basil pesto with a small amount of Parmesan cheese, or M&M’s.  J

With all that being said I still lost another 4 pounds in the last 6 weeks, which I am very pleased with. That brings the total amount lost to 11 pounds since February 1st and 14 pounds since Christmas!  I’m not sure why because I have indulged in candy far too often.....

Last night Chad bought tickets to the Spring Seminary Banquet, also known as Sem Prom. J  It is a semi-formal event and I want to be able to fit back into this dress for the event.


So, I need to get with the program!  Although I can get into this dress, it is a bit snug and I want it to be comfortable to wear that evening.  I have decided to cut out candy for the next month. (I will still eat cake when we celebrate Naomi’s birthday this weekend when she is home though.)  I will also stay on my wheat and dairy free diet 90% of the time.

I have also decided to start a body weight circuit.  By that I mean no hand weights or barbells, but exercises using the weight of your body only. I did this back in 2008 when I was in the best shape of my life and had very good results with it.   I am joining a daily plank challenge that my former chiropractor back in Nebraska is putting on.  In addition to that I will do push-ups, tricep dips, squats, and stretching/yoga. Here is the circuit:

Warm up with gentle stretching and yoga 5-10 minutes, or warm up with a walk.

45 second plank – working up to a full minute
25 Squats
20 Push-ups
20 Plie Squats (you could substitute lunges here, but because of my back I do not do lunges)
15-20 Tricep Dips
25 Squats
Repeat at least 3 times
5-10 minutes of yoga and stretching or more if there is time.

I will do this circuit 4-5 times a week.  I will be doing a 45 second plank daily with the challenge I’m participating in. 

I will also continue to walk Koda at least 30 minutes every non-rainy day.  So hopefully in 4 weeks time my dress will fit a little better and my arms and legs will be toned up for summer!

Here are my April/May Goals!

1)      Walk Koda at least 30 minutes, 5 times a week
2)      Do a 45 second -1 minute plank every day
3)      Do body weight circuit at least 4 times a week
4)      No candy until after May 8th
5)      Go on 1 more challenging hike
6)      Drink a green smoothie 4 times a week
7)      Continue wheat and dairy free, 90% of the time

So what are your health goals for this month? How did you do last month?



2 comments:

  1. Hey there, read your blog and I remembered that I did a plank challenge and a squat challenge last May. The plank challenge was 6 days a week for 30 days, and the final day it was a 5 minute plank. I never imagined how that could be possible but both Emilie and I did it!! I was ready to be done after that day, but it was a cool challenge. The squat challenge was similar, and I think the last day it was 200 squats. I wouldn't want to do those challenges all the time with Body Pump as well because it was a lot on the legs. However, for 30 days it just gave me a jump start to summer. So, good luck on your challenge : )

    Good to hear your voice via your blog!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie!! I might add more time to my planks every week if I feel my back can handle it. I used to be able to do several minutes, but not since my injury. Glad you stopped by! Hope things are well for you and your family!

      Delete