Saturday, February 1, 2014

Wheat and Dairy Free Background

About the time we moved here last August I started developing some pretty bad stomach issues.  Without grossing you out with too much information, let’s just say I had almost all the symptoms of IBS.  I am a person who does not like to go to the doctor unless I am giving birth or have broken a bone, (Four births and one broken bone here!) so I wanted to try few things first before spending a lot of money going to the doctor.  (Don’t you love those high deductible plans, too?)   My first inclination was to give up dairy since it seems like my symptoms would get worse whenever I ate dairy.  This is not the easiest for me since I have a great love of all things dairy.  Ice cream? Yes, please.  A nice cheesy pizza?  You bet!  Cheesy Mexican food?  Oh my, yes!   And not to mention, I made all these things from scratch.  This was so hard! Especially the pizza and any cheesy Mexican food part and I failed many times when my cravings would get the better of me.  After a suggestion from my former chiropractor I decided maybe I needed to start a pro-biotic as well to help when I occasionally would still have dairy. I started that in October and while I saw a noticeable difference in the first month, I still was not back to where I was before we moved.  Fast forward to January, my diet has returned to normal after a 3 week road trip back home over Christmas break.  We eat healthy, whole foods 90% of the time at home.  I do like sweets, and any time I wanted anything sweet I would make it using rapadura sugar, organic butter, flour, cocoa, and so on.  No store bought cookies for us with preservatives and ingredients you can’t pronounce.  Our meals consist of healthy fats like olive oil or coconut oil, lean meats, cheese, whole grain breads made at home, and organic fruits and vegetables.   We've eaten this way for years so my issues, from what I could tell, were not brought on by an unhealthy diet.   I have spent the last 3 weeks reading up on my symptoms and came across an article by a woman who was going paleo for the month of February to get to the bottom of her stomach problems.  I do not plan to go paleo.  Of all the foods I love, meat and vegetables rank at the very bottom of my list.  I do enjoy nuts, but I love grain.  I can’t give up my popcorn and corn tortillas!  It’s bad enough having Mexican food without cheese. J  Anyway, I decided instead of going all out paleo, I would simply remove the grain that causes the most problems in people, wheat,  along with the dairy.  So out they go! For 30 days.  At the end of that time I will reevaluate and see if I need to remove other things or if perhaps I can add something back in. So here it goes…..   







No comments:

Post a Comment