Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Recipe - Simple Pico De Gallo

Today I have a recipe for one of my favorite foods. This is usually more of a summer time food for me, but yesterday I was craving it so I made due with what I had in the kitchen.  This is a super easy-to-make recipe and best with vegetables fresh from the garden or Farmer’s Market.  But today, even in the dead of winter, it was pretty tasty with canned tomatoes and vegetables from the store.  And, of course, it's wheat and dairy free. 

Simple Pico De Gallo

2 cups roma tomatoes, core removed and chopped, (or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained)
1 - 2 jalapeƱos, seeds removed and minced (I used one larger jalapeno today)
¼ cup onion, minced
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced or put through a garlic press
Juice of ½ lime
1 teaspoon raw sugar
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Drizzle of olive oil


Chop all vegetables and place in bowl. Squeeze lime; add spices, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Combine gently. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.  Enjoy!



This can be served with chips or tacos or even on a grilled chicken breast.  In the summer when I have tomatoes and jalapeƱos in the garden I make this almost daily! I usually use Roma tomatoes, but any kind should work in this recipe.  If you are going to make it in the winter, I would suggest you use canned or thawed frozen tomatoes rather than the "fresh" ones you get from the store.  This time of the year "fresh" tomatoes have no flavor what-so-ever, and who knows how long they have been sitting on the shelves.  Even with canned tomatoes this beats store bought salsa any day!




No comments:

Post a Comment