Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Day 18 & 19 No Wheat/Dairy

Monday I had a major cooking fail in the gluten and dairy free department.  I woke up craving pancakes.  Knowing that I am not allowed to eat things like that I tried to forget about it and proceed with my day, but as usual the craving stayed.  I went to the internet and googled recipes for gluten and dairy free pancakes and found one with ingredients I have here at the house.  I had just picked up some all-purpose gluten free flour yesterday, so I thought I would give pancakes a shot. The recipe called for applesauce, but I substituted mashed bananas.

I mixed them up and they looked quite promising, the batter was similar to regular pancake batter and they smelled quite good while cooking.  But things started going downhill from there.  First of all they stuck to my pan terribly, even though I greased it well with coconut oil.  Regardless of the fact, I put my newly-formed-muscles (my weight circuit is paying off!) into scraping them off the pan and flipping them.  Now they were a bit crinkled, but still looked and smelled eatable so I let them cook a few more minutes.  Excitedly I got out my plate and again, scraped them off the pan and onto my plate where I ran a small amount of maple syrup over them.  Sitting down I took my first, highly anticipated bite.  I’m not sure how to exactly describe the flavor or texture.  A gooey, slimy, lump of cinnamon and banana flavored chalk, would probably be the best description. Yuck!

Now for a fairly accomplished cook, having unappetizing food is not something I deal with too often.  Not since the whole peanut butter noodle recipe fiasco in 2005. (Somehow that was supposed to taste like a peanut/thai dish but it ended up being hot peanut butter paste on noodles.  Quite nasty.)  I hate to waste food so I downed the 3 pancakes, which ended up sitting in my tummy like a rock for the next few hours.  I think I will go back to my green shakes…..


Sunday, Day 18


Sunday was a good day for my tummy, but I had a headache all day, so no exercise was done.  Not sure what caused a headache unless it was that I watched a movie the night before and was on the computer a good deal.  I often get headaches from eye strain.

Breakfast: 16 oz water with ½ lemon, squeezed, 2 cups coffee

Lunch: 6 oz chicken breast with 1 cups broccoli sautéed in coconut oil with sea salt and spices, 1 apple

Snack 1: carrot and celery sticks, 2 cups coffee

Snack 2: pistachios

Supper: spaghetti with quinoa gluten free noodles

Snack:  herbal tea with honey

7 – 16 oz glasses of water


Monday, Day 19


Monday my tummy was still feeling fine.  My headache was gone so I had a productive day.  Took Koda on a 30 minute brisk walk, did 45 minutes of my weight circuit, and did 20 minutes of yoga before bed.

Breakfast: 16 oz water with ½ lemon, squeezed, 2 cups coffee

Lunch: gluten free pancakes with maple syrup (gag me!)

Snack 1: 1 handful of almonds, 1 clementine

Snack 2: 1 handful corn chips, carrot sticks

Supper: homemade chicken strips with almond breading, roasted potatoes, and steamed broccoli

7 – 16 oz glasses of water


Have a great day, friends!!






2 comments:

  1. I'll have to go back and read more about your journey - we just took my daughter off dairy for the second time (and are limiting the rest of the family's intake), and last year she and I both went off gluten and dairy. It's hard, but eventually (like 6 weeks in), I got the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, thank you so much for stopping by! It's exciting for me when bloggers I have been reading for awhile stop by my blog. I still credit you for getting me turned on to Dave Ramsey and the cash system. :-) I'm hoping I can keep myself gluten and dairy free. It has been hard!

      Delete